A condition set by the College of Policing states that
Forces should offer an alternative test based on medical grounds following a decision from Occupational Health for those deemed unsuited to the twists, turns, sharp acceleration/deceleration of 15m shuttle running
If you suffer from a disability and have approached your forces occupational health department you should be offered the Chester Treadmill Police Walk Test as an alternative to the 15 meter bleep test. This test is not only for physical disabilities and has been known to have been offered to those with ‘invisible’ disabilities.
Chester Treadmill Police Walk Test (CTPWT)
This fitness assessment is an adaption to the original Chester Treadmill Walk Test (CTWT) and is used in the same way as the bleep test to determine whether a police officer has the minimum fitness standard for personal safety training.
After a suitable warm up directed by your assessor you will be required to stand on the treadmill and prepare for the start of the test. You will begin walking at a pace of 6.0 km/h at a gradient of 0%. Every two minutes your assessor will increase the gradient by 3%.
In comparison to the CTWT which requires you to walk on the treadmill for 12 minutes, the CTPWT has a slightly lower minimum requirement of 10 minutes (unless you are in a specialist role).
If you are in a specialist role then you may need to complete the Chester Treadmill Police Walk Test to a higher level. The list below details what these roles are and what target time you will be expected to meet.
- Regular Police Officer: 10 minutes
- PCSO: 10 minutes
- Detention Officer: 10 minutes
- Detective Constable: 10 minutes
- Special Constable: 10 minutes
- CBRN: 10 minutes
- Method of Entry: 10 minutes
- Dog Handler: 10 minutes 20 seconds
- Mounted Branch: 10 minutes 20 seconds
- Police Cyclist: 10 minutes 20 seconds
- Police Support Unit: 10 minutes 40 seconds
- Air Support Unit: 10 minutes 40 seconds
- Police Divers: 11 minutes 20 seconds
- Marine Police: 11 minutes 40 seconds
- Authorised Firearms Officer: 12 minutes
The CTPWT is not currently being offered to ARV or DIAFO. These officers will still be required to complete the 15m bleep test.